In 1998, Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 794d) as amended by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (P.L. 105 - 220), August 7, 1998 to require Federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology (EIT) accessible to people with disabilities.Specifically, Section 508 of that act requires that when Federal agencies develop, procure, maintain, or use EIT, Federal employees with disabilities have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access and use by Federal employees who are not individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on the agency.
Acquisition & Procurement Regulations
- Federal Acquisition Regulations: Final FAR Rule For Implementing Section 508 of the Rehab Act Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities. Document Download Page (available in multiple file formats).
- Buy Accessible Wizard- A web-based tool to help users determine and document Section 508 requirements that apply to a particular E&IT acquisition. http://www.buyaccessible.gov/
- Acquisition Central: http://www.acquisition.gov
Agency Shared Practices on Acquisition
- FAA Procurement: Standard Operating Procedures - Procurement: Standard Operating Procedures: Document Download Page (available in multiple file formats).
- USDA Acquisition Advisories Specific to EIT Acquisitions
- DR4030-001 [HTM] [PDF] (07/23/03) Section 508 Implementation - USDA Final Guidancehttp://www.ocio.usda.gov/directives/doc/DR4030-001.htm or http://www.ocio.usda.gov/directives/doc/DR4030-001.pdf