The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) is tasked under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act to provide technical assistance to help federal agencies comply with Section 508 requirements, and ensure that covered ICT is accessible to, and usable by, individuals with disabilities.
About the Team
GSA’s Office of Government-wide Policy (OGP) created the Government-wide IT Accessibility Program to focus on providing support to federal agencies in the following primary areas:
- Policy & Program Management
- Accessible Acquisition
- Content Creation
- Accessible Design and Development
- Accessibility Testing, and
- Accessibility Training & Events
The team partners with U.S. and foreign government agencies, industry, nonprofits and academia to develop guidance, tools, training and other related materials at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels to help federal employees and the public “Build, Buy, and Be Accessible”.
- By ensuring accessibility is considered throughout the content development lifecycle, we’re able to better promote effective Section 508 program management
- Our how-tos, self-paced videos, and online training courses enable education and added awareness and retention of 508 guidelines and requirements based on your role within the agency
- We also provide the ICT Accessibility Testing Baseline to create a bank of standardized/accredited testing methodologies and tools that agencies can use to help measure conformance of their products to Section 508 standards
- Our array of online tools like the Accessibility Requirements Tool (ART) and Solicitation Review Tool (SRT) provide resources to assist agencies in their own effective implementation of 508 requirements
Our team is on standby to assist with technical support, guidance, and advice to both agencies and individuals with more specific questions and issues relating to implementation of Section 508 requirements. If you need assistance in developing or providing accessible products or services to your customers, visit our Contact Us page.
About This Site
Section508.gov provides guidance to Federal agency staff who play a role in IT accessibility. The site addresses several key topics, including:
- Program Management - Provides best practices on how to manage an effective IT Accessibility program;
- Roles and Responsibilities - Provides guidance to individuals on their responsibility to ensure accessibility is incorporated into business processes and deliverables;
- Procurement - Helps agencies understand how to clearly define accessibility requirements for ICT procurements, and helps ICT vendors understand the need to demonstrate the accessibility of their IT products and services for potential federal buyers;
- Tools & Training - Conducts and facilitates training for IT Accessibility program managers and agency procurement officials, and offers tools to automate common accessibility-related management tasks; and
- Policy Compliance - Helps federal agencies understand and meet their responsibilities under Section 508 and related laws and policies.
GSA is committed to the accessibility of its information and communication technologies for individuals with disabilities by meeting or exceeding the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. If you have feedback or concerns related to the accessibility of this website, the resources contained therein, or questions about IT accessibility in general, please visit the Contact Us page for more information. If you have general questions or feedback related to GSA’s commitment to Section 508 compliance, please contact the GSA Office of Information Technology’s Section 508 team at CIO508Help@gsa.gov or (202) 208-0799.
Comments and Feedback
If you have feedback or concerns related to the accessibility of this website, the resources contained therein, or questions about IT accessibility in general, please visit the Contact Us page for more information.
If you have general questions or feedback related to GSA’s commitment to Section 508 compliance, please contact the GSA Office of Information Technology’s Section 508 team at CIO508Help@gsa.gov or (202) 208-0799.
Reviewed/Updated: May 2022