Determining how the Revised 508 Standards apply to Federal IT procurement and development will ensure that any technology your agency buys or builds will be accessible. The first step in this process is to conduct an inventory. The other steps involve determining which exceptions and standards apply.
First, review the business requirements of your project or acquisition to identify which major components contain information and communication technology (ICT). ICT items include such things as software, hardware, electronic content, support documentation & services. When conducting a procurement, review the Revised 508 Standards Applicability Checklist for each ICT item.
- ICT items may be comprised of:
- Commercial-off-the shelf (COTS)
- Government-off-the shelf (GOTS)
- Custom-developed products
- Configuration, installation, integration, maintenance, and hosting services for COTS, GOTS, and custom-developed products
- Each ICT item will fall under at least one of four categories:
- Electronic Content
- Support Documentation & Services
- In some cases, an ICT item may fall under more than one category (e.g., products and services that have multiple ICT features and functions combined into one solution).
Use the Revised 508 Standards Applicability Checklist (MS-Word, April 2018) to document your accessibility requirements for ICT items.
We’ve provided some examples below of items that qualify as ICT. Either scroll down to see the entire list, or click on the link to jump directly to the type of ICT you want to read about.
- Electronic Content
- Support Documentation and Services
Electronic Content - Examples
- Websites and web-based content (Internet & Intranet)
- Microsoft Office & PDF Documents
- Training materials (e.g., online training materials, tests, online surveys)
- Multimedia (video/audio)
- Digital content (e.g., documents, templates, forms, reports, surveys)
- Interactive maps
- Electronic emergency notifications
- Subscription services (e.g., news feeds, alert services, professional journals)
Software - Examples
Web, desktop, server, mobile client applications
- Time and attendance software
- Productivity applications
- Web forms/applications
- Call Center Support applications
- Workflow applications
- Content management systems
- Learning management systems
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Acrobat Professional
- Adobe InDesign
- PDF Generators and Converters
- Graphing and Charting Programs
- Operating Systems
- Systems/network administration software
- Collaboration environments
- Remote access software
- User Authentication Software
- Virtual meeting tools (e.g., VOIP, screen shares, remote meetings)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS),
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Hardware - Examples
- Computers & laptops
- Printers and copiers
- Document scanners
- Multi-function office machines
- Peripheral equipment (e.g., keyboards, mice)
- Information kiosks and transaction machines
- Mobile phones
Support Documentation and Services - Examples
- Training Services
- Help Desk or call center
- Automated self-service & technical support
- Product documentation
Considerations for Complex Solicitations
Use the chart below to figure out which ICT items will need a checklist, for solicitations that include multiple ICT products, services, or components. Note, the Accessibility Requirements Tool (ART) will generate a list of accessibility requirements for each ICT item, and compile them into one requirements listing, broken out by ICT Item.
Type of ICT Item
Single commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) item
Prepare one checklist for the item, including required support services and electronic documentation.
Multiple commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) items
Prepare a separate checklist for each COTS item, including required support services and electronic documentation.
Single custom developed, configured, or installed item that contains ICT
Prepare one checklist for the item, including all ICT components, as well as required support services and electronic documentation.
Multiple custom developed, configured, or installed items that each contain ICT
Prepare a separate checklist for each item, including required support services and electronic documentation.
ICT support services only
Prepare one checklist for the support services and documentation only.
See the other steps in this process:
- Process Overview
- Step 1: Inventory Your ICT (you are here)
- Step 2: Determine ICT Exceptions
- Step 3: Determine Which Standards Apply
- Revised 508 Standards Applicability Checklist (MS-Word, April 2018) - Use this checklist to document your accessibility requirements for ICT items
- Accessibility Requirements Tool - Automates the Revised 508 Standards Applicability Checklist; generates an accessibility reporting requirements template and customizable accessibility solicitation language.
- Original Guidance Document - Developed by the U.S. Federal Government Revised 508 Standards Transition Workgroup; members include the U.S. Federal CIO Council Accessibility Community of Practice, the U.S. Access Board, and the General Services Administration.
Updated/Reviewed: May 2018